Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bono should come here

Giday and I, he calls himself G'day mate, despite my pleas to the contrary. Giday is the poolboy, well that's kind of disparaging because he's more of the pool man, seeing that he's 38 has a 16 year old son and stuff. I also found out that party in Balinese means going to the the beach to drink the local moonshine, Balinese ricewine. I asked in my innocence, is it like vodka, but of course it's not, for a start off it comes in an old coke bottle. It's 60 proof. I'm steering wide of Giday especially at night when he seems all too eager for me to join him for a drink or two. I am still nursing my wounds of my night out in Thailand and still suspect a small broken bone in my foot. We will see. I only hurts when i swim.
I don't really have that much to report as i have spent most of my time laying by the pool reading books and trying to avoid a rather annoying Belgium man and his wife who insisted in telling me his life story in Dutch the other day; well up until he told his boss he was a donkey and then i was able to break in a explain that even though the staff call me Lula the funny lady from Holland, i speak not a word of Dutch. He's been staying in the resort for the past 4 months and wants to make friends with everyone which is fine, until his voice is the last voice you hear at night and the first each morning. He did tell me the story in English, I should have kept my trap shut.
My ipod has been of particular fascination to the locals, they can't really understand how you can fit 960 songs on something so small, and when i showed it to Giday he wanted to buy one straight away so that he could listen to Bob Marley on his motorbike.
I made special friends with this lady above, her name is Rene. She was so sweet, I tore my pants the other day (jumping onto the back of a motorbike) and she sowed them, she also gave me a massage, and tracked me down when i missed our 1 o'clock appointment. She kept hugging me and telling me i was the funniest Holland lady ever, I tried telling her I was from Ireland but it didn't work. That this is where I get to Bono.

Usually unlike people from more famous or infamous nations like the US, England or Germany, you have to do a little explaining sometimes to ensure that people understand that you are from Ireland. Up until recently, and in Vietnam and Thailand on occasion, Roy Keane came to the rescue. But not too many times. Well if Roy Keane doesn't work well who hasn't heard of U2, I'll tell you the Balinese. Giday went through my ipod, and didn't recognise, Blur, Oasis, U2, Amy Winehouse etc, or U2, he did however recognise both Madonna and Britney and some of the older stuff like the Beatles and the Stones, but that was about it. I asked did he know Bono? no, George Clooney, no or maybe Jack Nicholson, agh yes no that's the man he likes the ladies ....

No comments:

Blog2Print