Friday, February 29, 2008

Leaping for joy at an extra day in Bali

Made it to Kuta this afternoon despite the best efforts of my mini-bus, jokingly referred to as a shuttle bus, driver. It's not so far it's just that you have to go over the central mountains and the road is insanely windy and steep. Thanks goodness that I don't get car sick, and praise the lord for the ipod, it saved me having to listen to the constant, and i mean constant tittering of the Danish (I think) girls beside. One of whom by the way had the worst tattoo I have ever seen, she is so going to regret this ...
Checked into my hotel and went for a walk. It's so commercial and having not seen any real shops for a while I had a blast wandering around the aircon shopping malls. This town is bigger than i expected it to be. What i expected I don't know. But it's way bigger. And i have never seen so many places to get tattoos. It's just like any other big holiday resort I suppose. Brash tacky but with cheap food and beer. My hotel room is the biggest I have stayed in other than that wacky place in Shanghai. I got a discount and an upgrade because I complained that one of the other rooms I saw smelt of cigarette smoke.

I stumbled across the bomb memorial. It would leave a lump in your throat, the only word I can think of to describe the bombers rhymes with shunts. I was a little surprised to read that there were no Irish killed, usually no matter where I have been there's always been a disproportionate number of paddies wandering around usually a little drunk and sun burnt.



R.I.P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

You said there were not Irish killed - does the top of the middle colum in the picture not say Irelanda?

Bill

Una on Tour said...

there were definitely no Irish killed. I rechecked, I think that's Belgium.

Blog2Print