Sunday, March 16, 2008

Getting seriously lost in Auythaya

So here i am in Auythaya, it's the ancient capital of Thailand kind of is a ugly version of Siem Reap. Yesterday, I had a couple of things to do. Book hotel in Singapore. I have always had a dream of staying in Raffles in Singapore, but with it's $675 price tag, even the dollar isn't depreciating fast enough to justify that one. Anyway I have a feeling that when I am in Singapore all I really will want to do is rock slowly back and forth, and weeping silently to myself.
Anyway again I digress, I also had to put a bet on England to kick Ireland's emerald green ass in the 6 nations. My PP account has been empty ever since the night i managed to turn 14 eur into 180 eur and cut my losses and went yippee. So I logged on, clicked the button for deposit, and decided, 40eur, 25 on England and 15 for blackjack. My bank declined my request because my visa card had been cancelled. Now this was weird because I had just used it to book a hotel in Singapore and a hostel in Bangkok.
I went back to my hotel to pick up the clothes I had gotten made for the wedding, and my card was declined again. Of course there was lots of mumbling in Thai and I didn't know what was going on. So I whipped out my mobile and for the 5th time on this trip called Visa in Dublin. After listening to an automated voice for around 2 minutes, I got through to Karen, who I sure would prefer to do anything other than work the night shift in Visa and who was probably pretty sick of drunken coked up morons reporting their cards stolen after leaving them in the loo of Ron Blacks. "Hi Karen, I am standing in a tailor shop in Bangkok and my card is being declined my Mother's maiden name is Smith, I was born in 1983 and my address is a wee overpriced box in the sky in Dublin." Agh, yes Ms. Blake your card was declined because someone tried to put through a transaction, oh, yes, well it was the system, I do note that you are, oh I am sorry and your card is working again". But what about the 25eur I wanted to put on England to beat Ireland in the rugby, if they win you'll have to compensate me. She giggled and said goodbye, she shouldn't have.
Anyway then i got my clothes and went to the bus station, northern bus station, I was there faster than i thought i should have been, Bangkok is a huge city and my hotel was kind of in the South east of it. Of course he had just dropped me at the nearest station. So I went back outside and hailed a taxi. I want to go to the northern bus station. He asked me where I was going and i told him. He offered to drive me for 1000baht which is about 35$. I thought about it and said ok. But when we got here he couldn't find my hotel. I had written down the address. In Thailand each main road has a name and the side roads are called Soi, and are numbered evenly on the left and oddly on the right, so it's pretty fool proof. But not for Mr. Taxi driver. We drove around and around for about 1 and half hours. In Asian culture people done get mad they giggle. So both of us spent most of the 1 and half hours giggling like school girls at their first pop concert. Eventually I cracked and told him to just stop at another hotel, I checked in there, emailed my hotel to tell them that I would be here today, put 25eur on England to beat Ireland, turned my 15 into 40 playing blackjack.
I went to a bar for dinner. This town seems to be the Karaoke capital of Thailand. Now karaoke falls into that category along with marmalade, coldplay and George bush of things i really detest. The bar had a karaoke stage but there was no one singing. I got a table, ordered a Singha, and some rice with chicken, and then they started showing karaoke on the big screen. And it was loud. And there were lots of mosquitos. And the every time i took as much of a sip out of my beer the waitress refilled my glass, it was really annoying. I had another beer and went back to my hotel. Watched Terminator 2 dubbed into Thai, and fell asleep. England beat Ireland in the rugby. Oh and did I mention that it's like 37 degrees outside in the shade, so it's really really hot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

More wedding clothes? Nice. Happy St. Patrick's day, my mom bought me some corned beef and cabbage and spuds for our dinner tonight. Not particulalry my favorite meal but I felt bad telling her that, so I had to wake up early to get all that thrown into the crockpot. Crockpot??? Who am I?

Una on Tour said...

ok crockpot sounds australian but i think it's actaully american. so i'm going to guess on Ann, because Matt's in Vegas and Arron is in Miami so nowhere near a mom to cook them dinner. but it could be bev but i thought that your work had cut you off when you became addicted to your crackberry?

Anonymous said...

Oh woops, I actually didn't mean that literally;(who am I) Forgot to sign my name. Damn this anonymous thing, just not used to it. Ann

Blog2Print