Thursday, March 13, 2008

Turning me back into me

Got into Bangkok on Wednesday evening. The flight was totally uneventful, got a taxi at the airport, the guy wouldn't shut up and i couldn't understand a word he was saying. The effects of the pain killers i took at the airport in Cambodia were beginning to ware off and I was starting to feel sick. Not hungover sick, poisoned sick. He told me he had friends in Ireland (looking for a tip). The traffic was awful. I had booked into the Rembrandt hotel, it's a 5* but was only $110 a night. I got a bit of a windfall in euro for over paid taxes and I can almost feel the dollars depreciating in my wallet as I type. So I checked in. Went to my room. No CNN, good. Apparently there was a big storm last week and it hit the side of wales and scotland and england and caused all kinds of devastation and lots of high winds. It came from the Atlantic. CNN never mentioned the other little landmass it crossed over. The porter came and gave me my bag I gave him one of my depreciating dollars and ran to the bathroom and vomited for about 30 minutes. Now i think i was sick for three reasons. (a) because i was back in Bangkok and it's really hot and humid here and polluted and crazy. I hate it here, I love it here it just makes me nuts (b) because i have to go thru 5 countries take three trains and two flights to get to Ann's wedding (c) because i now know that this amazing adventure is coming to the end and that makes me freaky. Oh and (d) because i was still a little hungover.
I spent the rest of the evening in my 5* hotel lying in the fetal position on my bed afraid to breath. I couldn't sleep. American Idol was on the TV, I didn't have the energy to switch it off. I started texting my friend Ann in Denver, I knew she would be up. She's getting married in about 3 weeks and I am her maid of honour. I've never been a bridesmaid before so I am kind of making this up from scratch.
Get teeth whitened and cleaned. Done.
Get nice clothes for wedding. Done.
Get hair cut, coloured and normalised. Done.
Have Facial. Done.
Get tattoo of lotus leaf on foot. Hmmm I am still thinking about that one.
Post big stupid Bali blanket back to Dublin along with left over malaria tablets. Done along with the left overs of my malaria tabs.

I went to the pool in my hotel yesterday. Why is it that men get away with looking so obese and bloated with their big beer bellies falling out of there trunks at the pool while girls and gay men sit in robes feeling really inadequate? I tell you because men have no self respect or maybe they just don't care and that makes me a tad jealous. anyway in my book, anyone with a beer gut over the age of 11 should never wear speedos anywhere regardless of the temperature or the location. it's just not cool on anyone else.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't hate the player, hate the game. ann

Anonymous said...

hey, i stayed in the Rembrandt in Bangkok - room 1916! I left a baggie of contraband behind one of the paintings in the room if you get bored - damo.

Una on Tour said...

and pray tell why do you think i was lying in the fetal position on my bed all night unable to move? Agh 1916

Blog2Print